Child Custody Issues for Eddie Murphy

April 30, 2013, by Law Offices of James V. Sansone
By Law Offices of James V. Sansone on April 30, 2013 8:00 AM |

childairport460.jpgWhen celebrities such as Eddie Murphy and former Spice Girl Melanie Brown were married, it made the news - at least entertainment news coverage.

Now their custody battle is grabbing legal headlines.

Eddie Murphy vs. Melanie Brown

Brown, who entered into a contract with Australia's version of The X Factor, decided to break her agreement with the Down Under network due to Murphy's refusal to allow their daughter to move to Australia.

Murphy and Brown were never married but in 2007, Brown gave birth to their child, the now 7-year-old girl, Angel Iris. Initially, Murphy refused to acknowledge the child until a paternity test proved that he had indeed fathered the child.

Now he wants a relationship with Angel Iris and for her to live in the U.S.

Meanwhile, Brown's professional future is at stake because if she can't move with her daughter, she will be in breach of contract with her employer.

It's a mess.

Border Officials Fear Child Abductions

Due to well-publicized cases of parents fleeing the country with their children, border officials are very sensitive to potential child abduction cases.

Therefore, whether you plan to take a trip to Canada or France, you need to be aware that officials require verification that you are lawfully removing your child from your native country.

Even if border officials are initially lax and allow you out of the country, you may experience difficulties returning.

How to Prepare for Your Trip Abroad

To prevent problems, make sure you obtain a passport for your child. When you apply in person, be prepared to have one or more of the following documents.

  • birth certificate
  • notarized statement of consent to remove your child from the country
  • adoption decree
  • court order establishing sole legal custody
  • court order specifically permitting travel with the child
  • death certificate of your former spouse
If you have any questions, consult with your Sonoma County family law attorney.

Do you have questions about custody, guardianships, children's issues, or spousal support? If so, call me or schedule a consultation with the Law Offices of James V. Sansone at 707-623-1875 or contact me by email. You can find additional information on family law, children's issues, spousal support, domestic violence as well as a list of resources you'll find helpful on our website.